Will varicose veins go away with weight loss or exercise?
Varicose veins are swollen, enlarged, or twisting veins that typically appear blue or dark purple. These enlarged veins often develop on the legs and feet as a result of venous reflux or venous insufficiency, where the valves in the vein are not functioning properly.
How do varicose veins develop?
Varicose veins develop as a result of weak or damaged valves. Within the circulatory system, the arteries carry blood from your heart throughout your body while the veins return blood from the body to your heart so that the blood can be recirculated. This process ensures the proper functioning of the various organs and systems in the body. However, if the valves in your vein are damaged or weakened blood can flow backward or pool in the vein, causing them to twist, swell and protrude from the body.
It is important to treat varicose veins and if left untreated then it can affect regular blood flow and circulation and eventually lead to serious health issues if left untreated.
Who is likely to develop varicose veins?
– Age: Because of the aging process, vein walls and valves don’t work as well as they once did, and veins lose elasticity and stiffen.
– Family history: This condition can be inherited (runs in families).
– Lifestyle: Standing or sitting for long periods decreases circulation. Wearing restrictive clothing such as girdles or pants with tight waistbands can decrease blood flow.
– Overall health: Certain health conditions such as severe constipation or certain tumors increase pressure in the veins.
– Tobacco use: People who use tobacco are more likely to develop varicose veins.
Do varicose veins go away with regular exercise or weight loss?
People have this misconception that varicose veins go away completely with regular exercise or weight loss but that is not true. Weight loss and exercise can make a big difference in reducing pain or in lowering blood pressure and ensuring better circulation but they cannot completely help in getting rid of varicose veins.
Varicose veins can be prevented in the first place by living an active, healthy lifestyle. Patients already living with varicose veins may find that regular exercise helps to ease some of the pain and prevent the condition from worsening.
Weight loss helps patients who are overweight to take the pressure off their veins and encourage healthy blood circulation.
Sometimes exercise can also worsen the condition of varicose veins. Not all forms of exercise are safe or beneficial for varicose veins. Lifting heavy weights, for instance, can increase the amount of pressure on your veins and worsen your condition.
Exercise and a healthy diet low in fats and sodium can cut excess pounds while helping strengthen veins by activating the natural pump action of the calf muscles. While losing weight will always be good for your veins, the only proven method for eliminating varicose veins is to undergo surgical treatment. Today’s minimally invasive procedures are performed as an outpatient and take less than an hour to complete. Treatment such as Sclerotherapy, thermal heat ablation, on ambulance phlebotomy requires only local anesthesia. Patients can return to their regular activities with few restrictions. The vein doctor can determine which option works best for your needs and lifestyle.
Which exercises you can do to reduce varicose veins?
- Rotate your feet at the ankles, making small circles.
- Do the rotations in opposite directions and repeat several times.
- Doing simple sets of calf raise exercises improves blood circulation which is great for helping varicose veins.
- Walking or running. Walking just 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week can yield good benefits.
- Bicycling or bicycle legs.
What diet is good for varicose veins?
- Foods that are good for varicose veins include a low-carb, low-calorie diet that is high in fiber and full of colorful vegetables and fruits.
- Avocados – These include vitamin C for inflammation and Vitamin E as a natural blood thinner to prevent blood clots.
- Shia seeds and flax seeds.
Why Dr. Jathin’s vein center for varicose vein treatment?
- Dr. Jathin’s vein center has highly qualified experts who provide the highest quality treatment using advanced technology, which helps to recover faster. Dr. Jathin’s vein center has treated patients with varying degrees of varicose veins with the same amount of utmost care.
- Dr. Jathin’s vein center uses advanced technology like vascular veins spider veins removal diode laser machine which helps patients to have a very smooth surgery.
- Solid track record of handling different kinds of vein treatment.
- Reliability and dependability in handling complex cases.
- Total transparency
- A team of internationally qualified doctors to diagnose and treat all your veins-related problems.
- Proven track record of treating patients from all walks of life and giving them a life free from veins-related problems.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment